Skip to main content

Big Treasure and Small Treasure

I saw a news story today on Yahoo, of a gay marriage in China. I was like "oh that's unusual in China; a gay marriage" and usually these things don't interest me a great deal, but then as I was skimming over the article I saw a line about "old men", the word "sex" and something in inverted commas (两名老年男同性恋者在支持者的见证下举行“婚礼...) Well,...things just got interesting.
Screenshot taken from Yahoo.cn News website.
Isn't his dress lovely...
When I translated the sentence I was shocked. I laughed to myself. Translated, that sentence means Supporters witnessed, two elderly men who have sex with men, held a "wedding".  I asked my girlfriend if there was no such thing as the word "gay" or "homosexual" in China as it seems quite a strange and slightly disturbing and overly descriptive choice of words. No beating about the bush here. No friendly sounding words like "gay" or "homo" but just short of declaring "let's have it right; they're men who fuck other men".

I did a bit more research into this issue, as I wasn't sure, are same sex marriages in China allowed, and I stumbled across this article on Bloomberg...
"there’s little question that this is a real phenomenon -- and one not new to China. Straight women married to gay men have long been known as “tongqi" [translated means WITH WIFE], and the state-owned news media have covered their problems for at least a decade."

So it seems that the gay marriage issue  have been going on for a long time, and people globally are prejudiced against it - it's not just Western society. At least the Chinese don't hide behind religion or anything and say that same-sex marriages are wrong. They don't want to use any other words to describe it. It is what it is. Two old men who have sex with other men, getting married.
And my girlfriend's answer to my question, do Chinese use the word "gay"? She told me that calling them gay is quite rude towards them.
"We call gay people 同性恋 (tongzinglian)" she told me, "which means "same sex fall in love with each other which is more polite. It doesn't mean to be harsh".
The whole Bloomberg article is pretty interesting as it goes on to say not that gay marriage is wrong, but how this is actually a feminist issue and how sham marriages in China affect the women involved!

BTW, the title for this article are the names of the couple in the picture. You can find more info in English here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new experience

It felt like I did a lot of travelling today. I'm in Moscow now. In total it was about 8.5 hours. But I had gone forward by 3 hours, and spent a few hours waiting for a delayed plane after being searched like a terrorist, and all the contents of my backpack unpacked and gone through with a fine tooth comb, and comments about sandals that I had in my backpack as being "too heavy". I have no idea what that meant, and at the time I probably didn't help the searching by Lisbon airport security by replying a sarcastic "uhhh,....yeah". I had a pencil case with me, and the guy doing the searching took every single pen and pencil out, and examined them all! I'm really not sure what he was looking for, as I could have used them as instruments of pain infliction but he allowed me to keep them all. I evetually boarded my flight to Maldova which was hugely delayed for no specific reason, so I got to Maldova and had to get on a bus from the plane, go to the transit a

When starchy, unboiled vegetables are harder than steel.

Around a year ago I bought a knife set made by an American company called Füri. They were nice knives I thought. Notice the "were". They're no longer nice knives. Below is an email that I wrote to them a few weeks ago. An email that they as yet, haven't answered. So I thought I'd post my letter online. The email was entitled "Füri-ous at knife breaking". I hope they understood the pun of their company's name. Hi Füri, Just over a year ago (March or April 2012), I purchased a 9cm (3.5 inch) Pairing knife. It was in a set along with an 20cm Cook's Knife. I decided to buy Füri brand knives as I was looking for some good quality kitchen knives; knives that enhance my enjoyment of cooking. However, last week I was cutting through a potato (chopping it into cubes for a soup) with the 9cm Pairing Knife, when the knife just snapped! I've attached some pictures. A clean break in the knife - no twisting or bending. A clean bre

Where's the Mysterious Trumpet Player this week?

Time for this monthly update. I went to Jervis Bay this weekend which was pretty good. I'll write another blog post about it. The end of winter has finally come I think, and the return of warm/hot weather is coming. I can feel it. You can "smell summer" in the evenings. I attribute the "smell of summer" quote to my sister...although she was referring to freshly cut cucumber skins...and it was probably more than 15 years ago. Anyway, mmmm, the fresh smell of summer :) It's actually a bit scary how the months have gone so quickly and it is now August. This blog is over a year old now. I had no celebration as I forgot. I should have some sort of party soon. Maybe design a logo for this blog. I have previously written about The Mysterious Trumpet Player  (it is actually a trombone...) that practices his br ass instrument in increasingly ingenious and secluded places. A few days ago, a colleague and I were walking back from lunch and could hear