Skip to main content

The Mysterious Bird Death Chronicles

Mysterious Bird Death Chronicles started as a photograph that I took on a beach of a headless bird (probably a pigeon). See the picture below. As we walked along this beach, called Cave Beach, there were quite a few dead birds lying in state on the sand or tangled in decaying marine fauna, in various stages of putrification. All with one thing in common. They were headless. Completely decapitated. No skull stripped to the bone. No keratin beaks. No head whatsoever. Nothing. It was probably even a clean disengagement the head. I didn't poke around the bird carcasses, but I assumed that this was the case.
This struck me as being perturbedly interesting. Why would these birds have no head? Did something eat it? Does the entirety of their cranium totally disintegrate into the atmosphere? Is there some wild animal around here that only eats the heads of dead animals?
Also extremely and morbidly intriguing was the thought of the paradox of why this beach was a mass ornithological shallow grave. How did these birds die? Were they flying across the ocean, got caught in a storm then crash landed in the ocean, and then washed up on this particular shore? This is actually my preferred theory. Or that they got tired on their flight out at sea and in the ultimate self-destructive act to combat their immense burning fatigue, plunged into the caustic emerald-green depths. Or maybe they were being typical greedy flying rats and feasting on tasty fishing net debris, and got their heads caught in the mesh, yanked to get free and then faced the unexpected consequence of severing their head from their torso. 
Ahh, I just made up that last one now, as I was typing. And I quite like it and it sounds vaguely believable.

I'll add to this list any other birds with unaccountable deaths.

Headless Dead Bird 1




Headless Dead Bird 2 
Headless Dead Bird 3. There were more birds that I didn't take a picture of, as my girlfriend was asking me to stop as it was a bit strange for people to witness me taking pictures of dead things, like some gruesome fetish of taxidermy.
A few days ago I was at Sydney International Airport. There is a viewing platform which overlooks one of the runways. You can look down at some of the planes picking up passengers and waiting to take off. Pretty cool to see. I saw an A380 which was also pretty cool.
Anyway, while ascending the stairs to the Observation Deck I noticed that there were some pigeons ambling about on a ledge, to the right of the stairs. Close enough to jump on to and walk along. I didn't, but I noticed this feathery, bird shaped lump. On closer inspection (which involved me leaning right over the ledge and making people walk around my flailing, outstretched legs) I saw that this feathery bird shaped lump had a beak and slightly raised wings. The only difference from a bird and the bird shaped lump was that it was slightly more squashed. There were 2 things puzzling about this: there was no "dead bird juice" surrounding the bird and also what would a squashed bird be doing up here anyway??
These strange circumstance threw my brain into an instant search for a theory and possible plot synopsis. Was the bird actually some airside roadkill, squashed on the ground by a speeding baggage handler's motorised train, and then thrown up on top of this ledge 15 metres off the ground like a roadkill frisby? Out of sight, out of mind. Did the bird fly into a window at high speed, and the sheer force of impact compacted the bird so much that it hit the window and slid down, Wiley-Coyote-getting-squashed-like-a-pancake style, and came to rest on the window ledge?? Who knows.......and that's where The Mysterious Bird Death Chronicles originated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new experience

It felt like I did a lot of travelling today. I'm in Moscow now. In total it was about 8.5 hours. But I had gone forward by 3 hours, and spent a few hours waiting for a delayed plane after being searched like a terrorist, and all the contents of my backpack unpacked and gone through with a fine tooth comb, and comments about sandals that I had in my backpack as being "too heavy". I have no idea what that meant, and at the time I probably didn't help the searching by Lisbon airport security by replying a sarcastic "uhhh,....yeah". I had a pencil case with me, and the guy doing the searching took every single pen and pencil out, and examined them all! I'm really not sure what he was looking for, as I could have used them as instruments of pain infliction but he allowed me to keep them all. I evetually boarded my flight to Maldova which was hugely delayed for no specific reason, so I got to Maldova and had to get on a bus from the plane, go to the transit a

When starchy, unboiled vegetables are harder than steel.

Around a year ago I bought a knife set made by an American company called Füri. They were nice knives I thought. Notice the "were". They're no longer nice knives. Below is an email that I wrote to them a few weeks ago. An email that they as yet, haven't answered. So I thought I'd post my letter online. The email was entitled "Füri-ous at knife breaking". I hope they understood the pun of their company's name. Hi Füri, Just over a year ago (March or April 2012), I purchased a 9cm (3.5 inch) Pairing knife. It was in a set along with an 20cm Cook's Knife. I decided to buy Füri brand knives as I was looking for some good quality kitchen knives; knives that enhance my enjoyment of cooking. However, last week I was cutting through a potato (chopping it into cubes for a soup) with the 9cm Pairing Knife, when the knife just snapped! I've attached some pictures. A clean break in the knife - no twisting or bending. A clean bre

Where's the Mysterious Trumpet Player this week?

Time for this monthly update. I went to Jervis Bay this weekend which was pretty good. I'll write another blog post about it. The end of winter has finally come I think, and the return of warm/hot weather is coming. I can feel it. You can "smell summer" in the evenings. I attribute the "smell of summer" quote to my sister...although she was referring to freshly cut cucumber skins...and it was probably more than 15 years ago. Anyway, mmmm, the fresh smell of summer :) It's actually a bit scary how the months have gone so quickly and it is now August. This blog is over a year old now. I had no celebration as I forgot. I should have some sort of party soon. Maybe design a logo for this blog. I have previously written about The Mysterious Trumpet Player  (it is actually a trombone...) that practices his br ass instrument in increasingly ingenious and secluded places. A few days ago, a colleague and I were walking back from lunch and could hear