Skip to main content

Thanksgiving Celebrations!

My first opportunity to celebrate a festival in Australia turned out to be an entirely American festival. And I was lucky enough to experience two of them! I'm talking about Thanksgiving. One official Thanksgiving celebration, with lots of traditional Thanksgiving food like turkey and yams. The other was a Mexican Thanksgiving party, which was in fact a celebartion of my housemate's anniversary of moving in to his house, and it just happened to fall around Thanksgiving. And Mexico is viewed as an antonym of the USA I guess. And it probably created a good cover story for drinking beer and tequila for 15 hours and playing loud Mexican music.
Mexican Thanksgiving solely involved Mexican foods and drinks and games. This meant 3 different types of tequila (one with the traditional scorpion preserved in the bottom), Corona, nachos, burritos, a piñata, sombreros, wearing shirts with just the top button fastened, saying "essay" a lot, putting Riche Valen's La Bamba on repeat for a few hours and cheering each time it came on, tabasco sauce on many things and in many drinks, and limes. Kilograms of limes. We played poker for most of the night and drank. We fought with the piñata scattering sweets everywhere. A few weeks later I still found some sweets from the piñata behind the TV despite a thorough clean of the lounge the day after. And disturbingly the piñata was an effigy of a what looked like a little girl. Scary. It may have been a clown but it had long hair and a distinct lack of clown make up or clown regalia. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of the piñata itself, but of someone giving it a right hook and leaving only the hair.
I woke up the next morning face down on the sofa, with an awful headache, the later stages of photophobia, an aversion to moving any part of my body and the first 10 seconds of La Bamba playing on loop in my head.
Arriba!


A week later, I was celebrating Thanksgiving, but in a very different way. This was at a house in an area called "the Shires" in the south of Sydney. It was held at the family home some American friends of my aunt. They live by the coast, and their beautiful house overlooks the sea. This meant that there was a wealth of wildlife to see and this picture of a bird on their patio shows how close we could actually get. I was able to stroke the feathers of the bird in the pictures.
The day was spent eating different delicious food, talking to all the people there, taking photos and enjoying some homebrewed alcohol. One of the guys that was there brewed and sold his own alcohol and another guy worked with his dad importing rum. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to try any special rum (I was told about this bottle they had which was worth 1000s of dollars), but was able to drink a lot of excellent home brewed cider and lager.
I had such a lovely day and it was nice to be reminded of an wholesome, caring image of the USA that's rarely portrayed in the media apart from in cheesy, pink and fluffy, saccharine heavy movies.

Note: And then I'ma end this post with a famous song title quote from this film but I'll write "I'm sooo ronrey, oh so ronrey" and let people guess what I mean. Fuck yeah. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new experience

It felt like I did a lot of travelling today. I'm in Moscow now. In total it was about 8.5 hours. But I had gone forward by 3 hours, and spent a few hours waiting for a delayed plane after being searched like a terrorist, and all the contents of my backpack unpacked and gone through with a fine tooth comb, and comments about sandals that I had in my backpack as being "too heavy". I have no idea what that meant, and at the time I probably didn't help the searching by Lisbon airport security by replying a sarcastic "uhhh,....yeah". I had a pencil case with me, and the guy doing the searching took every single pen and pencil out, and examined them all! I'm really not sure what he was looking for, as I could have used them as instruments of pain infliction but he allowed me to keep them all. I evetually boarded my flight to Maldova which was hugely delayed for no specific reason, so I got to Maldova and had to get on a bus from the plane, go to the transit a

When starchy, unboiled vegetables are harder than steel.

Around a year ago I bought a knife set made by an American company called Füri. They were nice knives I thought. Notice the "were". They're no longer nice knives. Below is an email that I wrote to them a few weeks ago. An email that they as yet, haven't answered. So I thought I'd post my letter online. The email was entitled "Füri-ous at knife breaking". I hope they understood the pun of their company's name. Hi Füri, Just over a year ago (March or April 2012), I purchased a 9cm (3.5 inch) Pairing knife. It was in a set along with an 20cm Cook's Knife. I decided to buy Füri brand knives as I was looking for some good quality kitchen knives; knives that enhance my enjoyment of cooking. However, last week I was cutting through a potato (chopping it into cubes for a soup) with the 9cm Pairing Knife, when the knife just snapped! I've attached some pictures. A clean break in the knife - no twisting or bending. A clean bre

Where's the Mysterious Trumpet Player this week?

Time for this monthly update. I went to Jervis Bay this weekend which was pretty good. I'll write another blog post about it. The end of winter has finally come I think, and the return of warm/hot weather is coming. I can feel it. You can "smell summer" in the evenings. I attribute the "smell of summer" quote to my sister...although she was referring to freshly cut cucumber skins...and it was probably more than 15 years ago. Anyway, mmmm, the fresh smell of summer :) It's actually a bit scary how the months have gone so quickly and it is now August. This blog is over a year old now. I had no celebration as I forgot. I should have some sort of party soon. Maybe design a logo for this blog. I have previously written about The Mysterious Trumpet Player  (it is actually a trombone...) that practices his br ass instrument in increasingly ingenious and secluded places. A few days ago, a colleague and I were walking back from lunch and could hear