Skip to main content

Bye 2010. Byeeeeeeeeee.....

I've not been updating for a while due to Christmas and holidays but this is the second of three. New Years Eve is (for me) traditionally about not really organising anything until the last minute. But this year, being in Australia and one of the first countries to celebrate the dawn of a New Year and being in Sydney, I wanted to see the world famous fireworks and celebrations in Sydney Habour.
Most other people I spoke to were doing other things, like going to parties, go out for dinner or to watch the fireworks but from some place seculuded, with 100 times less people than I had chosen to mingle with. I'll explain. I went to a place called Kirribilli, pretty much in front of the bridge, on the right side of bridge's bay. A prime spot, and being free, made it even more alluring. Tickets to sit in the gardens near to Sydney Opera House were selling for $200, and other places near to the bridge were also charging for tickets. Mine was ticketless, basically the first there got the best views...but that came with a few conditions. It was an "alcohol free zone". This initially put me off a bit, so I turned up with just some food and no alcohol. Big mistake, as it had obviously forgotten this was Australia. There were none of the prescribed searches going on and most people were openly drinking alcohol in front of the cops.
So when I got there I found a place to sit and have a rest (it was a 30 minute trek to get where I was due to road closures and I was dripping with sweat), looked around, and decided that it was worth me giving up my good spot to go buy some alcohol. It was 7pm...the main fireworks were not until 12am! I walked, sweating buckets now, back to a bottle shop to join the queue to go to buy some alcohol. I eventually returned about 7:30pm with some bottled beers and cans of horrible rum and coke that tasted more of sugar than rum. I soon realised that no one at all had glass bottles, so i quickly downed all 4 beers in a panic for fear of being chucked out for bringing glass. I then waited patiently under a treefor the 9pm "family" fireworks and when a few people left at 10, I then got a brilliant position on the edge of a cliff with a great view of the bridge. It was quite a fun evening, and I got to meet and talk to quite a few people. One thing that was quite apparent was that the crowd that was there was probably 70% foreign (like English, Italian Swedish, French, German, Singaporean, Chinese and Korean). I sat next to a Swedish professional photographer who lived in Brisbane with his Italian wife, on holiday in Sydney to see New Years celebrations with his wife's family. Interesting.
There were also a few other conditions of entry. I checked the NSWs authoritative website for the Sydney Harbour fireworks and found out that the capacity of the place I was going to was 2,000 people. Not as bad as I thought. But the place next to me, connected to the same station,
was 50,000 people!
And it felt like 50,000 people. It took me 2 hours to walk a 45 minute journey to meet some friends after. I didn't arrive until after 3am, and there were still throngs of people milling about the city centre. To start my 2 hour journey I probably had to walk 25 minutes to make a 5 minute journey too. Ridiculous. And I still dripped with sweat at 1am. I finally met up with friends of mine, who were too drunk to fully appreciate that I was a few hours late! They did notice that I was pretty sober however, and took me to a party to have some beers.



A few more assorted shots:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new experience

It felt like I did a lot of travelling today. I'm in Moscow now. In total it was about 8.5 hours. But I had gone forward by 3 hours, and spent a few hours waiting for a delayed plane after being searched like a terrorist, and all the contents of my backpack unpacked and gone through with a fine tooth comb, and comments about sandals that I had in my backpack as being "too heavy". I have no idea what that meant, and at the time I probably didn't help the searching by Lisbon airport security by replying a sarcastic "uhhh,....yeah". I had a pencil case with me, and the guy doing the searching took every single pen and pencil out, and examined them all! I'm really not sure what he was looking for, as I could have used them as instruments of pain infliction but he allowed me to keep them all. I evetually boarded my flight to Maldova which was hugely delayed for no specific reason, so I got to Maldova and had to get on a bus from the plane, go to the transit a

When starchy, unboiled vegetables are harder than steel.

Around a year ago I bought a knife set made by an American company called Füri. They were nice knives I thought. Notice the "were". They're no longer nice knives. Below is an email that I wrote to them a few weeks ago. An email that they as yet, haven't answered. So I thought I'd post my letter online. The email was entitled "Füri-ous at knife breaking". I hope they understood the pun of their company's name. Hi Füri, Just over a year ago (March or April 2012), I purchased a 9cm (3.5 inch) Pairing knife. It was in a set along with an 20cm Cook's Knife. I decided to buy Füri brand knives as I was looking for some good quality kitchen knives; knives that enhance my enjoyment of cooking. However, last week I was cutting through a potato (chopping it into cubes for a soup) with the 9cm Pairing Knife, when the knife just snapped! I've attached some pictures. A clean break in the knife - no twisting or bending. A clean bre

Where's the Mysterious Trumpet Player this week?

Time for this monthly update. I went to Jervis Bay this weekend which was pretty good. I'll write another blog post about it. The end of winter has finally come I think, and the return of warm/hot weather is coming. I can feel it. You can "smell summer" in the evenings. I attribute the "smell of summer" quote to my sister...although she was referring to freshly cut cucumber skins...and it was probably more than 15 years ago. Anyway, mmmm, the fresh smell of summer :) It's actually a bit scary how the months have gone so quickly and it is now August. This blog is over a year old now. I had no celebration as I forgot. I should have some sort of party soon. Maybe design a logo for this blog. I have previously written about The Mysterious Trumpet Player  (it is actually a trombone...) that practices his br ass instrument in increasingly ingenious and secluded places. A few days ago, a colleague and I were walking back from lunch and could hear