Skip to main content

Rationale of a blog

A few years ago (2005...) I had a blog on MSN which I didn't do much with. I was travelling round China, and used it as a place to upload a few photos. At this time I also had a small portable hard drive. But costing less than 15 quid, it inevitably stopped working.

I had copied nearly 6 months worth of pictures onto this hard drive which were now all lost. I have tried many times in vain to revive little HDD. I haven't quite come to terms with losing these pictures; the memory mainly evokes anguish from the inability to feed my nostalgia with personal jpegs of my first trip big adventure in a far away country.

Whatever it is though has made me think that having a better standard of blog (the MSN one was good, but seemed a bit childish and like I was 15 years old again) is going to be worth it.

Plus, I've always liked the idea of having a blog or diary. I have tried writing a diary before. Sort of unsuccessfully. It was a trip over a few weeks. I was ok at the writing-down part, but it was what I was writing on that was the problem. I had written on scraps of paper (receipts, post-it notes, paper napkins) and in a battered notebook. At the time I had this fantastic idea of returning home and immediately transferring all my jottings in digital form, via the medium of fingers and keyboard. After 3 months of transcribing, I realised that I had vastly underestimated the task. After 8 months or so I had given up. Pens and paper are an art form but they're last century. Long live Base 2!

Comments

  1. You're a Base 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raven I love this rationale makes perfect sense and is really telling in its own way, doesn’t seem like its written by you yet im sure it is, really looking forward to following your journey and giving you something to read along the way. George

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, :), written all by me George, all by me! Thanks for tuning in...i'll try and keep it interesting. :) Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A new experience

It felt like I did a lot of travelling today. I'm in Moscow now. In total it was about 8.5 hours. But I had gone forward by 3 hours, and spent a few hours waiting for a delayed plane after being searched like a terrorist, and all the contents of my backpack unpacked and gone through with a fine tooth comb, and comments about sandals that I had in my backpack as being "too heavy". I have no idea what that meant, and at the time I probably didn't help the searching by Lisbon airport security by replying a sarcastic "uhhh,....yeah". I had a pencil case with me, and the guy doing the searching took every single pen and pencil out, and examined them all! I'm really not sure what he was looking for, as I could have used them as instruments of pain infliction but he allowed me to keep them all. I evetually boarded my flight to Maldova which was hugely delayed for no specific reason, so I got to Maldova and had to get on a bus from the plane, go to the transit a

When starchy, unboiled vegetables are harder than steel.

Around a year ago I bought a knife set made by an American company called Füri. They were nice knives I thought. Notice the "were". They're no longer nice knives. Below is an email that I wrote to them a few weeks ago. An email that they as yet, haven't answered. So I thought I'd post my letter online. The email was entitled "Füri-ous at knife breaking". I hope they understood the pun of their company's name. Hi Füri, Just over a year ago (March or April 2012), I purchased a 9cm (3.5 inch) Pairing knife. It was in a set along with an 20cm Cook's Knife. I decided to buy Füri brand knives as I was looking for some good quality kitchen knives; knives that enhance my enjoyment of cooking. However, last week I was cutting through a potato (chopping it into cubes for a soup) with the 9cm Pairing Knife, when the knife just snapped! I've attached some pictures. A clean break in the knife - no twisting or bending. A clean bre

Where's the Mysterious Trumpet Player this week?

Time for this monthly update. I went to Jervis Bay this weekend which was pretty good. I'll write another blog post about it. The end of winter has finally come I think, and the return of warm/hot weather is coming. I can feel it. You can "smell summer" in the evenings. I attribute the "smell of summer" quote to my sister...although she was referring to freshly cut cucumber skins...and it was probably more than 15 years ago. Anyway, mmmm, the fresh smell of summer :) It's actually a bit scary how the months have gone so quickly and it is now August. This blog is over a year old now. I had no celebration as I forgot. I should have some sort of party soon. Maybe design a logo for this blog. I have previously written about The Mysterious Trumpet Player  (it is actually a trombone...) that practices his br ass instrument in increasingly ingenious and secluded places. A few days ago, a colleague and I were walking back from lunch and could hear