Skip to main content

When starchy, unboiled vegetables are harder than steel.

Around a year ago I bought a knife set made by an American company called Füri.

They were nice knives I thought. Notice the "were". They're no longer nice knives.

Below is an email that I wrote to them a few weeks ago. An email that they as yet, haven't answered. So I thought I'd post my letter online.

The email was entitled "Füri-ous at knife breaking". I hope they understood the pun of their company's name.


Hi Füri,

Just over a year ago (March or April 2012), I purchased a 9cm (3.5 inch) Pairing knife. It was in a set along with an 20cm Cook's Knife. I decided to buy Füri brand knives as I was looking for some good quality kitchen knives; knives that enhance my enjoyment of cooking.

However, last week I was cutting through a potato (chopping it into cubes for a soup) with the 9cm Pairing Knife, when the knife just snapped! I've attached some pictures. A clean break in the knife - no twisting or bending.



A clean break
I couldn't believe it. I was pretty angry about this. I bought this knife little over 15 or so months ago, and had only 15 months use and now it has broken chopping an potato! Granted, it was unboiled and so slightly hard....but still, a knife chopping a potato. You'd never imagine that a potato can triumph. 
The knife is now extendable...

I was relieved of AUD$75 for the set of 2 knives, and one breaks chopping a potato! That is ridiculous I thought....basically a knife that cost AUD$32.50 cannot even handle a potato! I never even got to sharpen it properly either.
I followed all of the instructions for caring for the knife - I never put it in a dishwasher, never used extremely hot water to clean it, always washed and dried it soon after use. You can see from the pictures that it has been looked after well.
Potato 1 Füri Pairing knife 0

The Füri knife did get used once a day at least, but only for about 15 minutes in total......a week. That's one hour a month. 15 hours of use in total......and snapping....really?! I have other cutting knives that I've used way more than that and they are still very much intact.

I've also attached a knife that I bought in my local supermarket (my local Woolworths), nearly 3 years ago. This is now my temporary pairing knife. In the picture it's a bit dirty as it is fresh from doing its job of not snapping while cutting carrots, parsnip, turnips AND potatoes. I think this also cost 8 times less than the Füri one....this Woolworths knife was AUD$4 I think.


Füri knife at the top, Woolies knife at the bottom
Notice the potato and carrot bits still on the knife? Yeah...that's how a real knife deals with veggies.
All in all, I'm quite annoyed at this. I'm down a small knife that I thought was pretty decent. and so am looking to replace this knife and possibly add some cutting knives, but now am quite reluctant to choose Füri. 

Yours frustratedly,

Kris

---

Did I get a reply?

Comments

  1. Kris, i was disturbed to read you poor experience, however was skeptical that you may not have been using a paring knife correctly. Based on this i decided to research how to use a paring knife and found the following article.

    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Paring-Knife

    It appears your paring knife usage falls well within the parameters and infact, it may even suggest you were under-using the knife. As you will see in the article "Paring knives are extremely versatile and can be used in a wide variety of ways, making them one of the most frequently utilized knives of a chef's kitchen."

    Good luck in your quest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support and useful link Ben. I had a look at the guide you supplied and to my shock, well, I found that I have indeed been drastically under utilising my paring knife. I had not peeled a thin or a thick skin, de-foliaged a strawberry, gutted a shrimp. I've removed pips from a jalapeno though, so that is of some comfort at least.
      I did get this lovely reply off the Furi guys however, last week.

      ---
      from: Furi Gbal Sales
      to: Kris
      date: 29 July 2013 06:44
      subject: RE: Füri-ous at knife breaking

      Dear Kris,

      We are so sorry to read about your concern with Furi knives and the unfortunate incident of your knife breaking.

      In order to rectify this for you quickly, pls feel free to contact McPherson Consumer Products at enquiries@mcpher.com.au and they will assist you with your claim.

      Much thanks,
      Furi Global.
      ---

      I've yet to chase it up.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A new experience

It felt like I did a lot of travelling today. I'm in Moscow now. In total it was about 8.5 hours. But I had gone forward by 3 hours, and spent a few hours waiting for a delayed plane after being searched like a terrorist, and all the contents of my backpack unpacked and gone through with a fine tooth comb, and comments about sandals that I had in my backpack as being "too heavy". I have no idea what that meant, and at the time I probably didn't help the searching by Lisbon airport security by replying a sarcastic "uhhh,....yeah". I had a pencil case with me, and the guy doing the searching took every single pen and pencil out, and examined them all! I'm really not sure what he was looking for, as I could have used them as instruments of pain infliction but he allowed me to keep them all. I evetually boarded my flight to Maldova which was hugely delayed for no specific reason, so I got to Maldova and had to get on a bus from the plane, go to the transit a

Where's the Mysterious Trumpet Player this week?

Time for this monthly update. I went to Jervis Bay this weekend which was pretty good. I'll write another blog post about it. The end of winter has finally come I think, and the return of warm/hot weather is coming. I can feel it. You can "smell summer" in the evenings. I attribute the "smell of summer" quote to my sister...although she was referring to freshly cut cucumber skins...and it was probably more than 15 years ago. Anyway, mmmm, the fresh smell of summer :) It's actually a bit scary how the months have gone so quickly and it is now August. This blog is over a year old now. I had no celebration as I forgot. I should have some sort of party soon. Maybe design a logo for this blog. I have previously written about The Mysterious Trumpet Player  (it is actually a trombone...) that practices his br ass instrument in increasingly ingenious and secluded places. A few days ago, a colleague and I were walking back from lunch and could hear