Skip to main content

Free coat hangers

One busy lunchtime a week or so ago I remembered that I was drastically running out of clothes hangers (the lack of hangers resulted in my bedroom being littered with discarded clothes. Coupled with the organised-chaos/messiness of my bedroom, the discarded clothes inadvertently giving the impression of sheer laziness.
And when I came to wash some clothes I found that I had no where to hang some and that their new home was now on the floor or draped over the end of my bed).
I had decided to call in on Aldi in North Sydney. For those that don't know Germany's richest man's discount supermarket chain Aldi...  Aldi must sell hangers. I even asked a girl at work if Aldi sold hangers. She positively confirmed my suspicions and so North Sydney Aldi got a visit.
We got there and it was packed. It was peak-lunch-time-rush-hour and full of suit clad shoppers wrestling slightly shop damaged boxes of $1 shower curtains and scented, rose shaped candles, so my friend and I set about looking for clothes hangers. We couldn't find any. Well, there was some sort of offer on for kid's winter jackets.
One of the requisite traits of being a customer of a discount shop is that you don't quite grasp putting things back on their hangers or back in their rightful place. Like a pigeon pecking bread off of the ground and then they peck a stick and instantly drop it from their mouth as it isn't food.
I had stumbled into a bomb site of tiny multicoloured puffer jackets. But this bombsite yielded my reward for entering Aldi at lunchtime. Hangers. Lots of clothes hangers. Different types....the thick hangers needed to hang a sturdy jacket. Thin hangers for thinner jackets or maybe a shirt. There were even trouser hangers lying about. I had struck hanger gold.
I hastily collected some together. My friend came over to me. "Bro, what are you doing? I don't think they sell hangers. Let's go"
"Hold on", I said. "I'm gonna steal these."
"Dude, if you do that I'm going! I'm not with you!"
I looked at him to see if he was bluffing, and reassured myself, out loud, that people don't want these hangers. Aldi probably doesn't even care if I take a few hangers. My friend a long sigh, and slowly started edging away from me by pretending to browse for other goods. We jokingly argued a bit more, attracting more attention and more strange looks. So I agreed to go and ask for permission to liberate a few clothes hangers.
I found this Aldi employee, "Maria", that looked particularly stressed. She was carrying big boxes of cheese and meat paste. I followed her and watched her go into the stock room, and then as she emerged I pounced.
Me:  "Do you sell clothes hangers?" (knowing full well they didn't. Just a rhetorical ice breaker)
Maria:  "Errrm...no I don't think so"
Me:  "You don't. I looked. But I noticed that there are loads over there [pointing to the back of the shop]."
Maria:  Silence..."...OK"
Me:  "Can I just take steal some?"
Maria:  ".....errrm....if you want"
So I bounced back to my friend who was waiting/guarding the hangers I had compiled. I told him the good news...and as I was telling him, Maria appeared with a huge fruit box full of assorted hangers! The box was massive though, so I decided to decant the hangers into another more manageable 3 pack box of babies nappies.
We negotiated the lunchtime crowds, eliciting awkward/usual stares from people not carrying a nappy box of coat hangers through the streets. We got back to the office and I sat down at my desk contemplating my small triumph of consumerism. Getting anything for free always invokes happiness/smugness. Getting 30 hangers for free definitely evoked satisfaction and I deserved a pat on the back. But 30 hangers. I need 10 at the most. I took home 8.

Comments

  1. Brilliant Raven! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A new experience

It felt like I did a lot of travelling today. I'm in Moscow now. In total it was about 8.5 hours. But I had gone forward by 3 hours, and spent a few hours waiting for a delayed plane after being searched like a terrorist, and all the contents of my backpack unpacked and gone through with a fine tooth comb, and comments about sandals that I had in my backpack as being "too heavy". I have no idea what that meant, and at the time I probably didn't help the searching by Lisbon airport security by replying a sarcastic "uhhh,....yeah". I had a pencil case with me, and the guy doing the searching took every single pen and pencil out, and examined them all! I'm really not sure what he was looking for, as I could have used them as instruments of pain infliction but he allowed me to keep them all. I evetually boarded my flight to Maldova which was hugely delayed for no specific reason, so I got to Maldova and had to get on a bus from the plane, go to the transit a

When starchy, unboiled vegetables are harder than steel.

Around a year ago I bought a knife set made by an American company called Füri. They were nice knives I thought. Notice the "were". They're no longer nice knives. Below is an email that I wrote to them a few weeks ago. An email that they as yet, haven't answered. So I thought I'd post my letter online. The email was entitled "Füri-ous at knife breaking". I hope they understood the pun of their company's name. Hi Füri, Just over a year ago (March or April 2012), I purchased a 9cm (3.5 inch) Pairing knife. It was in a set along with an 20cm Cook's Knife. I decided to buy Füri brand knives as I was looking for some good quality kitchen knives; knives that enhance my enjoyment of cooking. However, last week I was cutting through a potato (chopping it into cubes for a soup) with the 9cm Pairing Knife, when the knife just snapped! I've attached some pictures. A clean break in the knife - no twisting or bending. A clean bre

Where's the Mysterious Trumpet Player this week?

Time for this monthly update. I went to Jervis Bay this weekend which was pretty good. I'll write another blog post about it. The end of winter has finally come I think, and the return of warm/hot weather is coming. I can feel it. You can "smell summer" in the evenings. I attribute the "smell of summer" quote to my sister...although she was referring to freshly cut cucumber skins...and it was probably more than 15 years ago. Anyway, mmmm, the fresh smell of summer :) It's actually a bit scary how the months have gone so quickly and it is now August. This blog is over a year old now. I had no celebration as I forgot. I should have some sort of party soon. Maybe design a logo for this blog. I have previously written about The Mysterious Trumpet Player  (it is actually a trombone...) that practices his br ass instrument in increasingly ingenious and secluded places. A few days ago, a colleague and I were walking back from lunch and could hear