Skip to main content

Photos from Two men drinking are not alcoholics


A KGB building in Moscow.












Communism v Capitalism.












This is Dima from a city called Yekaterinburg. He was on his way to Guangzhou in China for business. He sells clothes back in Russia. Mainly designer stuff he imports from China. He makes quite a lot of money.
When I boarded the train from Irkutsk to Beijing, Dima was my roommate. He joked with me that I am a stereotypical Russian, as I drink and smoke. He doesn't. He hasn't for 15 years he said. He has quite a good sense of humour and isn't too afraid to speak English incorrectly. He has a a girlfriend of 21, and was also married (I found out in Guangzhou to a Russian girl who was 37. She didn't look 37 at all), but is now separated he says. He also has a daughter who is 21 in Guangzhou.
He seems to work late at night. He chats on numerous phone calls and at the same time typing figures into his calculator and writing them down.
We also joked about being Zabaikalsk mafia. He taught me to say "chu na da" which means "what do you need?" and "fig nye" which is something like "no problem". We also did the actions of a mafia boss with girls, lighting a big cigar and snorting cocaine off of a knife. A fun way to pass the time.
Dima aslo offered to get me a ticket from his friend to Guangzhou. From there I will make my way to Dongguan to meet Rain. I took him up on the offer.


Some of the people that I met on the train. You can see Sasha at the front in the grey vest.
Anticlockwise, right to left: Sasha, Kris, Alex, Alex's girlfriend and Oleg.








This is a photograph of the timetable of the Trans-Siberian express route through Russia and then into China. It's in Chinese. Each section is headed by a grey bar showing which area the train is entering at that time. The time is Moscow time throughout.
I have drawn a red square around an interesting part of the timetable; the train that goes from Russia to Pyongyang, North Korea. It stops 8 times in China, before stopping in a place called Shenyang - 沈阳 - near to the North Korean border. It then stays there for security and general train checks for 502 minutes before moving on to a place called Dandong - 丹东 - on the Chinese side of the DPRK/China border where it stays for 138 minutes for further security checks, then crosses the border in the DPRK. The train then crosses the border and stops again for a further 195 minutes in Sinujiu - 新义州
Over a day to travel just 241 miles.....by train. Like going from London to Newcastle in 24 hours.



Some more Russian students that I met, on their way to Haerbin, to a university in China. Anticlockwise, right to left: Alexi, Tanya, Katya and Kris.









Dima and I leaving the train in Beijing very tired and weary at around 5:30am. I also have a story about our adventures in Beijing...only about 10 hours... You can find it here.








Beautiful domination of the Moscow skyline by Stalinist architecture.

















The view from my hotel window in Moscow.












The cabin I shared with Dima on the way to Beijing.










The painful music torture emanates from the yellow building. This picture is taken from Rain's front window.








When you see signs like this you know you're in a country that doesn't speak English. In this case a hotel in "Russia Town", Beijing, China.
















Listvyanka - on the shore of Lake Baikal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A new experience

It felt like I did a lot of travelling today. I'm in Moscow now. In total it was about 8.5 hours. But I had gone forward by 3 hours, and spent a few hours waiting for a delayed plane after being searched like a terrorist, and all the contents of my backpack unpacked and gone through with a fine tooth comb, and comments about sandals that I had in my backpack as being "too heavy". I have no idea what that meant, and at the time I probably didn't help the searching by Lisbon airport security by replying a sarcastic "uhhh,....yeah". I had a pencil case with me, and the guy doing the searching took every single pen and pencil out, and examined them all! I'm really not sure what he was looking for, as I could have used them as instruments of pain infliction but he allowed me to keep them all. I evetually boarded my flight to Maldova which was hugely delayed for no specific reason, so I got to Maldova and had to get on a bus from the plane, go to the transit a

When starchy, unboiled vegetables are harder than steel.

Around a year ago I bought a knife set made by an American company called Füri. They were nice knives I thought. Notice the "were". They're no longer nice knives. Below is an email that I wrote to them a few weeks ago. An email that they as yet, haven't answered. So I thought I'd post my letter online. The email was entitled "Füri-ous at knife breaking". I hope they understood the pun of their company's name. Hi Füri, Just over a year ago (March or April 2012), I purchased a 9cm (3.5 inch) Pairing knife. It was in a set along with an 20cm Cook's Knife. I decided to buy Füri brand knives as I was looking for some good quality kitchen knives; knives that enhance my enjoyment of cooking. However, last week I was cutting through a potato (chopping it into cubes for a soup) with the 9cm Pairing Knife, when the knife just snapped! I've attached some pictures. A clean break in the knife - no twisting or bending. A clean bre

Where's the Mysterious Trumpet Player this week?

Time for this monthly update. I went to Jervis Bay this weekend which was pretty good. I'll write another blog post about it. The end of winter has finally come I think, and the return of warm/hot weather is coming. I can feel it. You can "smell summer" in the evenings. I attribute the "smell of summer" quote to my sister...although she was referring to freshly cut cucumber skins...and it was probably more than 15 years ago. Anyway, mmmm, the fresh smell of summer :) It's actually a bit scary how the months have gone so quickly and it is now August. This blog is over a year old now. I had no celebration as I forgot. I should have some sort of party soon. Maybe design a logo for this blog. I have previously written about The Mysterious Trumpet Player  (it is actually a trombone...) that practices his br ass instrument in increasingly ingenious and secluded places. A few days ago, a colleague and I were walking back from lunch and could hear